Designing Unit Upgrade branches and Racial Specific Units

Discuss design, concepts and ideas for existing board games or share your ideas for new ones.
Marinealver

Designing Unit Upgrade branches and Racial Specific Units

Post by Marinealver » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:33 pm

So a while ago I asked on Reddit if they would like to see lvl III upgrades or alternative lvl II upgrades for their units (IIa). Many liked the IIa variant but thought that it would be easier to get III instead. My response, why not both?

So here is an idea. In addition to giving each race another racial unit (to make them more specific). Redesign the unit upgrades to have two upgrade choices, sort of like paths. So all units start as an Alpha lvl unit. They can upgrade to a Gamma or a Delta both being equal in power just different roles. A Cruiser Gamma might add movement while the Delta upgrade will increase combat capabilities. But you cannot have both during technology you may change over if you have to (retrofit).

Racial units are special they are considered beta but are a part of the same chassis as their Alpha counterparts. However they don't upgrade the same way, the can go either Gamma or Delta which should be equal in power as any upgraded unit. From there they can research the other upgrade to become an Omega class super unit (best Example L1Z1X Dreadnought).

SO what do you think about these very short unit upgrade trees?
Last edited by Marinealver on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What happens in game
Stays In Game

Helgeran

Re: Designing Unit Upgrade branches and Racial Specific Units

Post by Helgeran » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:53 pm

It seems like a lot of work for dubious payoff. SA already has racial units in practice because of the Racial Upgrades (formerly known as race techs) giving unique abilities to Mentak cruisers, L1Z1X dreads, Sardakk carriers etc.

Marinealver

Post by Marinealver » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:48 am

Helgeran wrote:It seems like a lot of work for dubious payoff. SA already has racial units in practice because of the Racial Upgrades (formerly known as race techs) giving unique abilities to Mentak cruisers, L1Z1X dreads, Sardakk carriers etc.
Yeah this is probably closer to 4th edition and SA is still 3rd edition, so there isn't a Cruiser II or Exotreme. They do exist as upgrades but not in the same way as 4th. Although 4th can seem restrictive as unit upgrades do not confer further down the tech path.
What happens in game
Stays In Game

PsiComa
Site Admin

Post by PsiComa » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:58 pm

The only difference is that 4th ed has techs that work on ONLY one unit, while SA upgrades work on two or more. I see no benefit with the former.

Marinealver

Post by Marinealver » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:11 am

PsiComa wrote:The only difference is that 4th ed has techs that work on ONLY one unit, while SA upgrades work on two or more. I see no benefit with the former.
I don't think that statement is entirely accurate. Tech like Plasma Scoring and Anti-mass deflectors effect more than just a single unit. Sure a unit upgrade only applies to that unit and as it has been pointed out tends to be a combination of two 3rd edition upgrades even though it only says one of the old 3rd edition tech. Infantry 2 is a combination of Gensynthesis and Cybernetics where fighter 2 is advance fighters and cybernetics.
What happens in game
Stays In Game

PsiComa
Site Admin

Post by PsiComa » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:21 pm

I meant, the unit upgrades are techs that only affects one unit.